Looking for something to do with all of those fresh herbs you have been growing? These recipes use favourite summer herbs such as mint, basil and lavender paired with fresh berries to create a sensational, refreshing summer drink. New to growing herbs? Follow our guide.
Sangria with Herbs and Wine
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 pound strawberries, thinly sliced
2 cups basil leaves, loosely packed
1 bottle Sauvignon Blanc
• Place lemon slices, half of the strawberries and half of the basil in a large pitcher – fill with wine
• Refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours before serving
• Strain the infused wine into another pitcher half filled with ice
• Add the remaining strawberries, basil and stir
• Pour into the wine glass, enjoy responsibly
• Added flavour: try adding ¼ cup of raspberry vodka or rum. Top with sparkling water for added fizz
Blueberry Lavender Mint Lemonade
3 sprigs lavender
5-6 fresh mint leaves
1-2 cups of blueberries
Juice of two lemons
1 ½ ounces vodka
1 teaspoon sugar
2/3 cup cold water
• Muddle lavender, mint, blueberries in a glass
• Add lemon juice, vodka, and sugar
• Pour water and whisk mixture together until the sugar is thoroughly dissolved; add ice.
• Garnish with fresh mint leaves, or lavender and enjoy!
Photography and recipes inspired by Freeman Herbs, Mixed Herb Planters.
By: Kayla-Jane Barrie